Converting the HubSan X4C

We're running another Drone Masterclass at the end of the month, so I had another pair of HubSan X4C quadcopters to modify as replacements for the ones we lost in the last session. This is my third attempt at filming the conversion process, and I finally got it to work. You can see the results below:


The filming was done with a GoPro Hero 4 Session camera, which I mounted onto my Dremel drill stand using a custom made 3D printed mount. It's actually just a cylinder which fits into the drill stand where the drill would normally go, but has a hole underneath for a bolt. This allows me to bolt the regular GoPro mount onto the drill stand and fix the camera looking down at the metal work plate.

The picture should make things clearer:



The orange part was 3D printed by me, although I had to wrap some black tape around it as it was slightly too small for the drill stand's clamp. The GoPro is visible underneath, which shows how little space I had to work in because of the camera's wide angle lens. It never actually occurred to me that the soldering iron is just centimetres from a £300 camera. You can judge from the video whether I'm any good at soldering or not.

The entire sequence took most of the day to film and the original runs to about 1 hour 30 minutes. This was speeded up by a factor of 10 so that it runs to around 9 minutes, apart from the final flying segment which remains in real-time.

I think the "Blue Danube" by Strauss works really well as background music.

Comments