Micro FPV


This is my first attempt at micro scale FPV. All up flying weight is 55 grams with a 4 gram Hyperion Mini 600 TVL camera mounted on Depron attached to one of our 3D printed quadcopter frames. The flight controller is the HubSan kit from the Royal Institution project we did earlier in the year. I'm planning to replace this with either a SciSky brushed controller, or an F3 Evo as I want something that runs CleanFlight. The HubSan is OK, but you can see from my flying that it's very nose heavy and hard to achieve a stable hover. That could just be that fact that the camera mount is held on by sellotape though.

The monitor is a Black Pearl 5.8GHz 7 inch screen, with the video filmed using my Nexus 4 camera phone on a tripod. In the background you can just see the black and white tail of my Chris Foss Wot 4 aircraft. I'm really impressed at how much you can see both of the quadcopter itself and its aerial view on the monitor.

It was all done in one take, but I've had to cut the video together as there were some bits where I stuck my hand in front of the camera and the receiver wasn't bound to the transmitter when I tried to fly it. Other than that, the quality is remarkably good for a camera phone filming a monitor showing an image transmitted from a flying camera.

I might need to use bigger batteries though, as the 1S 380mAh LiPos I'm using seem to run down very quickly. I need to check how much power the video transmitter is using, as it's powered directly off of where the HubSan's regular camera would normally be wired in. The big wire and servo connector you can see on the back of the quad is the power from the flight controller, taken out to two pins that the servo connector on the back of the Hyperion camera plugs in to. I could save some weight by making the direct connection, but I'm still in the experimentation phase.

The 5.8GHz video link is impressive, allowing reception even when walls prevent direct line of sight. I'm still learning how to fly it, so I shouldn't get too ambitious just yet.

Comments